News

19 June 2017, 19:48

MILITARY&DEFENCE

Society

Zheltoye area where civilian died was previously cleared of mines by LPR People's Militia

LUGANSK, June 19 (Lugansk Media Center) – LPR People's Militia had previously performed a mine-clearance operation in the vicinity of Zheltoye village, where a civilian was killed yesterday by a Ukrainian booby trap, said LPR People's Militia spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Andrey Marochko.

Earlier LPR Prosecutor's General Office representative David Kats said a civilian had been killed by a Ukrainian booby trap in Zheltoye village, Slavyanoserbskiy district.

Marochko said the 48-year-old man triggered a bomb "just 50 meters away from Ukrainian positions located on the other side of the Severskiy Donets river."

"LPR People's Militia has not installed any mine fields in the area."

"We have searched the sector and passed the data to the OSCE SMM."

"The enemy used abundant vegetation to cross the river during the night and to install mine fields in the areas with civilian presence."

"This is a terror attack and should be treated as such," Marochko said.

"Our neighbor went fishing, we heard an explosion and were worried; we informed the military and the guy was retrieved by means of a boat," local resident Denis Zverev said.

"We assume, there are Kiev's military forces across the river; but he went to the wrong place, we don't know what he was doing there," he said.

LuganskMediaCentre — 19 June — Lugansk