News

3 July 2018, 16:20

MILITARY&DEFENCE

Minsk-2

Ukraine builds up forces, hardware under pretext of taking Zolotoye-4 - People’s Militia

LUGANSK, July 3 (Lugansk Media Centre) - The Ukrainian army, under the pretext of taking the Zolotoyev-4 settlement which it has actually controlled since 2014, is building forces and hardware in the area, LPR People’s Militia’s spokesman Andrey Marochko said at a press briefing at the Lugansk Media Centre on Tuesday.

The press centre of the headquarters of the so-called “Joint Forces Operation” said on July 2 that the Ukrainian army had taken control of the Zolotoye-4 settlement allegedly located in the “grey zone.” Marochko said in response that the settlement had been under Kiev’s control since 2014.  

“The thoughtless populist actions by the Ukrainian command violate Ukrainian and international law,” Marochko said. “Yesterday’s statement about a new victory and seizure of the Zolotoye-4 settlement caused consternation among local residents.”

He underlined that despite the propaganda materials disseminated by Ukraine-controlled media, they are unable to hide the facts about the real situation.”

“To give more credibility to the statement about the taking of the Zolotoye-4 settlement which has been under Ukrainian army control, Kiev has built up forces and hardware in the area creating a threat to civilians’ life,” the spokesman said.

He noted that this information had been confirmed by representatives of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine.

“On July 1, observers recorded the presence of two armoured personnel carriers BTR-80 parked on both sides of former communal property which also accommodated 15 to 20 Ukrainian army gunmen. The building is located some 20 metres from an operating school and 20 metres from the school playground,” Marochko said.

“Four local residents told OSCE SMM monitors that they did not feel safe with the hit squads stained with blood being present in their settlement,” he went on. They are also afraid of letting their children go to the playground because of the immediate presence of inadequate Ukrainian gunmen.

“We ask UN human rights representatives to put pressure on the criminal Kiev regime. Such incidents are direct violation of the Protocol Additional to the Geneva Convention which says that “The civilian population as such, as well as individual civilians, shall not be the object  of attack.”

Earlier, the LPR People’s Militia denied Kiev’s statement on Ukrainian army advance in the Zhelobok area.

The members of the Contact Group have announced ceasefire more than ten times since autumn 2014. Kiev forces regularly violated the truce opening fire with large calibre artillery, mortars and tank guns which were to have been withdrawn in accordance with the Minsk agreements.

The Package of Measures for the Implementation of the Minsk Agreements was adopted by the Contact Group on Ukraine on February 12, 2015 and supported by member states of the Normandy Four (Germany, Russia, Ukraine and France). The UN Security Council approved the document by its 2202 Resolution and called upon all the sides to ensure full implementation of the Package of Measures.

The document provides for comprehensive ceasefire, withdrawal of all heavy weapons from the contact line, starting a dialog on reconstruction of social and economic ties between Kiev and Donbass. It also envisages carrying out constitutional reform in Ukraine providing for decentralization and adopting permanent legislation on a special status of certain areas of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions.

LuganskMediaCentre — 03 July — Lugansk