News

12 April 2017, 19:57

MILITARY&DEFENCE

Minsk-2

The Contact Group agreed to ceasefire in effect since 10 a.m. April 13

The Contact Group agreed a ceasefire in effect since 10 a.m. April 13, said LPR envoy to Minsk negotiations Vladislav Deinego.

Earlier he said the participants of today's meeting had reiterated their commitment to the Decision dated March 29, 2017 on the fulfilment of previously assumed obligations to respect the ceasefire.

"In the context of the statement, it was decided to announce ceasefire from 10 a.m. April 13," Deinego said.

The Contact Group participants at the meeting in Minsk on 29 March adopted a statement on comprehensive ceasefire in Donbass from 1 April ahead of Easter holidays. However, Kiev forces only held fire for about an hour.

The members of the Contact Group have announced ceasefire for more than ten times since autumn 2014. Kiev forces regularly violated the truce opening fire with large calibre artillery, mortars and tank guns which were to have been withdrawn in accordance with the Minsk agreements.

The Package of Measures for the Implementation of the Minsk Agreements was adopted by the Contact Group on Ukraine on 12 February 2015 and supported by member states of the Normandy Four (Germany, Russia, Ukraine and France). The UN Security Council approved the document by its 2202 Resolution and called upon all the sides to ensure full implementation of the Package of Measures.

The document provides for comprehensive ceasefire, withdrawal of all heavy weapons from the contact line, starting a dialog on reconstruction of social and economic ties between Kiev and Donbass. It also envisages carrying out constitutional reform in Ukraine providing for decentralization and adopting permanent legislation on a special status of certain areas of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions.

LuganskMediaCentre — 12 April — Lugansk