Stanitsa checkpoint will operate during repairs with short interruptions - Deinego
LUGANSK, August 2 (Lugansk Media Centre) – LPR and Ukraine have agreed not to close the Stanitsa Luganskaya checkpoint for a long time during the repairs period, said LPR Foreign Minister representing the Republic at Minsk talks Vladislav Deinego.
"We have managed today to reach a complete understanding with Ukraine that the checkpoint operations should not be brought to a halt for a significant period of time," he said.
Earlier the sides reached an understanding on the repairs of the bridge that had been partially destroyed by Ukrainian armed formations in 2015.
The LPR is to repair the asphalt road on the remaining part of the bridge, the railing and the bus station at its side. Ukraine is responsible for restoring the collapsed section.
The Office of Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky agreed that unilateral bridge repairs on the Kiev-wrecked Stanitsa Luganskaya bridge were inadmissible, Lugansk People’s Republic Foreign Minister, the Republic’s envoy to the Minsk talks Vladislav Deinego said earlier.
Currently there is only one official checkpoint at the line of contact in LPR area of responsibility in Donbass and it is accessible via the bridge in vicinity of Stanitsa Luganskaya. Only pedestrian traffic here is possible thanks to temporary conduit, as the bridge was blown up by Ukrainian forces in early 2015. LPR has been continuously proposing to rebuild it.
Kiev has disrupted the finalising the ICRC bridge restoration project from the very beginning of the discussion demanding that its width be limited in order to prevent the passage of armoured vehicles. The LPR repeatedly pointed out that the Ukrainian demands were ridiculous as the parameters proposed by the Republic (three metres in width and a load capacity of five tons) made military hardware traffic impossible, yet they met the minimum requirements to the passage of ambulances. Ambulance service is needed due to to many cases of people collapsing in long queues and regular fatalities.
In September 2016, representatives of Ukraine, the LPR, the DPR, Russia the OSCE initialled a framework agreement on partial pullback of forces in Donbass. The document provides for three disengagement areas around Zolotoye, Stanitsa Luganskaya and Petrovskoe (DPR territory). The disengagement was completed in Petrovskoye and Zolotoye areas. Kiev failed to pull back its forces in Stanitsa Luganskaya more than 80 times.
The Package of Measures for the Implementation of the Minsk Agreements was adopted by the Contact Group on Ukraine on February 12, 2015 and supported by member states of the Normandy Four (Germany, Russia, Ukraine and France). The UN Security Council approved the document by Resolution 2202 and called upon all the sides to ensure full implementation of the Package of Measures.
The document provides for comprehensive ceasefire, withdrawal of all heavy weapons from the contact line, starting a dialog on reconstruction of social and economic ties between Kiev and Donbass. It also envisages carrying out constitutional reform in Ukraine providing for decentralization and adopting permanent legislation on a special status of certain areas of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions.
LuganskMediaCentre — 02 August — Lugansk