28 September 2017, 15:19
OSCE unable to elicit Kiev’s position on political settlement for 18 months - Deinego
LUGANSK, September 28 (Lugansk Media Centre) - Coordinator of the Contact Group subgroup on political issues Pierre Morel has been unable to elicit Kiev’s views on Donbass political settlement from Ukrainian representatives for more than 18 months, LPR envoy to Minsk talks, acting LPR Foreign Minister Vladislav Deinego told a meeting of the Committee on Public Support to Residents of Southeastern Ukraine in Moscow on Thursday.
Earlier on Thursday, Committee chairman, Deputy Speaker of the Federation Council upper house of the Russian parliament Yuri Vorobyov said that the termination of the law on special status of Donbass adopted as part of the Minsk Agreements, would block the political settlement in the region.
In October 2014, Ukrainian President Petr Poroshenko signed the law on special order of local self governance in certain areas of Donetsk and Lugansk Regions which granted them special status for three years. However, Ukraine has never applied the law whose operation terminates on 18 October 2017.
Contrary to the Minsk Agreements and without coordinating his move with the Donbass Republics, Poroshenko introduced amendments to the law in March 2015 which in effect blocked its operation. In early 2016, the then German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier suggested a mechanism to enforce the law on Donbass special status on the day of local elections on a temporary basis, and permanently upon the OSCE publishing its report on the elections outcome.
“The political subgroup is working towards drawing out Ukraine’s position. It’s been more than 18 months today since the coordinator (of the subgroup on political issues Pierre Morel) has been trying to evoke this position,” Deinego said.
They (Ukrainian representative at Minsk talks) make regular promises but have not brought forth any document on Ukraine’s intentions up to date. Let it be just a general outline, not concrete moves, but we don’t have even that,” he said.
The Committee on Public Support to Residents of Southeastern Ukraine was set up at the initiative of the Federation Council upper house of the Russian parliament speaker in June 2014. It comprises FC members, lower house deputies, federal executive bodies officials, Russian Federation Public Chamber activists and public organisations and mass media representatives.
The Committee is a platform for broad public discussion of war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the Donbass conflict and bringing this information to the international community. It also considers issues related to humanitarian aid for people living in the conflict zone and assistance to refugees and displaced persons arriving in Russia.
LuganskMediaCentre — 28 September — Lugansk
Ukrainian saboteurs installed IED in Lutugino power station
Deinego: Kiev says ready to pull back forces in Stanitsa area on March 18
Kiev forces violate ceasefire once over 24 hours
Ukrainian citizens set up People’s Tribunal to investigate Kiev’s aggression against Donbass
LPR’s Pasechnik urges “Easter ceasefire” in Donbass from April 1