News

16 December 2020, 22:19

Minsk-2

No Christmas miracle for Minks talks on Donbass

Read in Russian

LUGANSK, December 16 (Lugansk Media Centre) – The last meeting of the Contact Group on the Donbass conflict settlement reflected the vibe of 2020: no significant progress transpired, negotiators expressed their disappointment as soon as the video call ended.

“Ukrainian delegation kept imposing its draft Plan of Actions,” said LPR Foreign Minister representing the Republic at Minsk talks Vladislav Deinego.
“They refuse to accept our road map, at the same time, they haven’t filed any comments or notes in two months.”

The main goal – to overcome Ukraine’s counter-effective position and unblock the political track – remains to be achieved next year.

Deinego pointed out a growing number of ceasefire violations committed by Ukraine, which explains why Kiev rejects an update to the Additional Measures to Strengthen the Ceasefire.

The POW swap issue has stalled because Ukraine fails to carry out legal clearance of previously exchanged persons.

All other issues and their resolution remain embedded in the Road Map that is still to be harmonized and adopted, which appears to be a challenging task given Kiev’s resistance.

The only subgroup that reported minor progress was the working group on humanitarian issues that managed to clarify the condition and characteristics of the Schastye bridge.

“The assessment showed that there are no obstacles for the transportation of humanitarian convoyes through the checkpoint. Ukraine can no longer manipulate the restrictions for trucks,” Deinego said.

Still, the schedule and technical details of the second future checkpoint, connecting Pervomaisk and Zolotoye, are still to be agreed upon.
The next meeting is scheduled for January 20, 2021.

“We hope that by that time Ukraine prepares for a constructive participation in the peace settlement of the Donbass conflict,” Deinego said.

LuganskMediaCentre — 16 December — Lugansk