LPR sends “Easter ceasefire” proposals to Contact Group coordinator - Deinego
LUGANSK, March 15 (Lugansk Media Centre) - The Lugansk People’s Republic has sent its proposals to Contact Group coordinator Martin Sajdik to introduce the “Easter ceasefire” in Donbass starting April 1, LPR envoy to the Minsk talks, acting Foreign Minister Vladislav Deinego said.
Earlier on Thursday, acting LPR head Leonid Pasechnik called upon the Contact Group to announce the “Easter ceasefire” in Donbass on April 1.
“Implementing the order of acting LPR head Leonid Pasechnik, I urged Minsk Contact Group coordinator Martin Sajdik to announce the “Easter ceasefire” beginning from the Passion Week on April 1 and hold a video conference within the next few days to coordinate the positions of the parties to the conflict - Ukraine, the LPR and the DPR - and prepare the text of the Contact Group statement,” Deinego said.
He noted that the “analysis of the “spring ceasefire” effectiveness presented at the Contact Group meeting on March 14 by OSCE Special Monitoring Mission head Mr Ertugrul Apakan showed that despite a number of provocative actions by Ukraine, the number of ceasefire violations decreased by several times which helped to essentially avoid civilian casualties.”
The statement to Sajdik notes that in making arrangements for the “Easter ceasefire” the parties have to focus on the measures ensuring full commitment to ceasefire such as “bans on the delivery of strikes, the return fire, the deployment of weapons in neighbourhoods and in proximity to social/humanitarian facilities and vital infrastructure, intelligence activities and sabotage, troops advance, taking the “grey zone,” movement of units and weapons and carrying out fortification works.”
The parties should publish the orders on the penalties applying to the truce violators and the materials on probes into each OSCE-recorded violation.”
The members of the Contact Group have announced ceasefire more than ten times since autumn 2014. Kiev forces regularly violated the truce opening fire with large calibre artillery, mortars and tank guns which were to have been withdrawn in accordance with the Minsk agreements.
The Package of Measures for the Implementation of the Minsk Agreements was adopted by the Contact Group on Ukraine on 12 February 2015 and supported by member states of the Normandy Four (Germany, Russia, Ukraine and France). The UN Security Council approved the document by its 2202 Resolution and called upon all the sides to ensure full implementation of the Package of Measures.
The document provides for comprehensive ceasefire, withdrawal of all heavy weapons from the contact line, starting a dialog on reconstruction of social and economic ties between Kiev and Donbass. It also envisages carrying out constitutional reform in Ukraine providing for decentralization and adopting permanent legislation on a special status of certain areas of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions.
LuganskMediaCentre — 15 March — Lugansk