News

10 July 2018, 19:33

MILITARY&DEFENCE

Minsk-2

LPR People’s Militia denies Kiev forces’ report alleging Zolotoye-4 shelling

LUGANSK, July 10 (Lugansk Media Centre) - The Lugansk People’s Republic People’s Militia denied the report by the headquarters of the so-called “Joint Forces Operation” alleging that the LPR had shelled Zolotoye-4.

“Today, the press centre of the headquarters of the so-called “Joint Forces Operation” stated that the LPR People’s Militia violated the “bread ceasefire” delivering a strike at Zolotoye-4 neighbourhoods and ruining houses in the settlement centre,” LPR People’s Militia spokesman Andrey Marochko said.

The Republic’s defence authorities had warned that Kiev would disseminate fake news blaming the Donbass Republics in the run-up to the Contact Group talks in Minsk.

“This is shown by the Occupation Forces Operation headquarters’ hysteria alleging the shelling of the Zolotoye-4 residential area by the LPR People’s Militia. We officially state that LPR People’s Militia units have nothing to do with the incident and that they remain committed to the announced “bread ceasefire,” Marochko said.

“We think it is necessary to inform the international community about the following: ahead of this provocation, Ukrainian terrorists had driven the local residents out of the settlement, shelled it and had Kiev-controlled media cover the developments,” the spokesman said adding that the provocation was meant to accuse the LPR of violating the Minsk Agreements.

“Ukraine does not need empty arguments to continue the military conflict in Donbass; it wants tangible proof to excuse its aggression against the People’s Republics. We do not rule out that we might hear new accusations from the Ukrainian command against LPR representatives alleging their violations of the Minsk Agreements,” Marochko said.

The press centre of the headquarters of the so-called “Joint Forces Operation” said on July 2 that the Ukrainian army had taken control of the Zolotoye-4 settlement allegedly located in the “grey zone.” Marochko said in response that the settlement had been under Kiev’s control since 2014.

He also said that commanders of Ukrainian units deployed in the so-called “Joint Forces Operation” zone denied the JFO statement on taking Zolotoye-4 as they confirmed that it had been under Ukraine’s control. OSCE SMM Principal Deputy Chief Monitor Alexander Hug also confirmed that the settlement had long been under Ukraine’s control. Meanwhile, the Ukrainian army, under the pretext of taking the Zolotoyev-4 settlement which it has actually controlled since 2014, has built up forces and hardware in the area, Marochko said.

Claiming the liberation of Zolotoye-4, Kiev forces carry out mopping-up operations forcing its residents to flee their homes, the spokesman said.

On Monday, LPR People’s Militia delivered humanitarian aid to residents of the Kiev-controlled Zolotoye-4 who lost their harvest because of Kiev forces.

The members of the Contact Group have announced ceasefire more than 20 times since autumn 2014. Kiev forces regularly violated the truce opening fire with large calibre artillery, mortars and tank guns which were to have been withdrawn in accordance with the Minsk agreements.

The Package of Measures for the Implementation of the Minsk Agreements was adopted by the Contact Group on Ukraine on February 12, 2015 and supported by member states of the Normandy Four (Germany, Russia, Ukraine and France). The UN Security Council approved the document by its 2202 Resolution and called upon all the sides to ensure full implementation of the Package of Measures.

The document provides for comprehensive ceasefire, withdrawal of all heavy weapons from the contact line, starting a dialog on reconstruction of social and economic ties between Kiev and Donbass. It also envisages carrying out constitutional reform in Ukraine providing for decentralization and adopting permanent legislation on a special status of certain areas of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions.   

LuganskMediaCentre — 10 July — Lugansk