News

9 June 2020, 14:38

Society

Kiev’s statement on Stanitsa crossing point unilateral opening is provocation - Kobtseva

Read in Russian

LUGANSK, June 9 (Lugansk Media Centre) - Ukraine’s statement on unilateral opening of the Stanitsa Luganskaya crossing point is a provocation, Lugansk People’s Republic Contact Group humanitarian subgroup representative Olga Kobtseva said. 

Earlier, Ukrainian representatives announced plans to reopen, on June 10, the crossing point in the Stanitsa Luganskaya area, which had been closed against the coronavirus infection outbreak.

“As an official representative in the humanitarian group, I publicly state that the Stanitsa Luganskaya crossing point will not operate tomorrow,” Kobtseva said. “We regard Ukraine’s statement as another provocation. It was a unilateral statement (by Ukraine).”

The Republic closed the only crossing point in the LPR responsibility zone in Stanitsa Luganskaya on March 23, as part of the measures to fight COVID-19.

Addressing residents, Kobtseva asked them not to make plans for crossing the contact line in Stanitsa Luganskaya on Wednesday because of the persisting threat of coronavirus infection. She also promised that residents would receive all information regarding LPR-Ukrainian accords on daily operation of the facility.

“For his part, OSCE Coordinator of the Humanitarian Group Mr (Toni) Frisch addressed all the negotiating parties asking them not to make reckless moves and underlining that all steps had to be taken for the sake of people and their safety,” Kobtseva said.

The LPR is ready to continue to arrange two-way traffic for the needy through the crossing point in Stanitsa Luganskaya which suspended operation because of the COVID-19 crisis, she said.

Earlier, the Republic repeatedly reopened the Stanitsa Luganskaya crossing point for the people who urgently needed to travel to Ukraine or the LPR.

The persons who found themselves outside the Republic and cannot cross the border of foreign states, can call the LPR Foreign Ministry +38(0642) 50-19-94, +38 (072) 115-99-35 (WhatsApp, Telegram), +38(050) 943-55-42 (Viber), or write to ministry@mid-lnr.su

The World Health Organisation called the COVID-19 coronavirus infection a pandemic. The first coronavirus infection cases were recorded in China in late 2019.  As of now, the number of coronavirus contacts has exceeded 6.9 million; of those, over 400,000 have died. Coronavirus cases were reported in Ukraine and Russia. The LPR confirmed 429 COVID-19 cases.

To prevent the spreading of the coronavirus infection, the LPR authorities put the Republic on high alert and changed the mode of operation of government bodies, companies, organisations and transport. As present, most of restrictions have been eased due to the improving COVID-19 situation.

Earlier, the LPR Healthcare Ministry said that the coronavirus situation in the Republic had fully stabilised and that the Government and medics were monitoring it.

LuganskMediaCentre — 09 June — Lugansk