News

18 April 2017, 15:54

MILITARY&DEFENCE

Minsk-2

Kiev says might disengage forces in Stanitsa Luganskaya on 21 April – Deinego

Ukraine said it might be ready for disengagement of forces and hardware on the contact line in Stanitsa Luganskaya area on 21 April, LPR envoy to Minsk talks Vladislav Deinego told a news briefing at Lugansk Media Centre on Tuesday.

“As for prospects, several dates (for disengagement of forces and hardware - eds Lugansk Media Centre) have been named,” Deinego said. “Ukraine now says they might be ready on 21 April.” 

“I believe we’ll make the next attempt on 21 (April - eds Lugansk Media Centre),” he added.

“There is a hope that this attempt will not prove as futile as more than 40 previous ones. We hold out a hope for Ukraine’s returning to the fulfilment of its obligations it undertook in Minsk,” Deinego said.

Earlier on Tuesday, acting LPR People Militia chief of staff Colonel Mikhail Filiponenko said Ukraine had again failed to disengage forces and hardware on the contact line in Stanitsa Luganskaya area as envisioned by the Minsk agreements.  

 Earlier, LPR People’s militia said it was ready for disengagement of forces and hardware in Stanitsa Luganskaya on the condition that Ukrainian forces withdrew simultaneously.

LPR and DPR representatives at a meeting in Minsk on 21 September 2016 initialled a framework agreement on partial pullback of forces in Donbass, that was also signed by representatives of Ukraine, Russia and OSCE.

The document provides for three disengagement areas around Zolotoye, Stanitsa Luganskaya and Petrovskoe (DPR territory). Heads of LPR and DPR Igor Plotnitskiy and Alexander Zakharchenko signed the agreement on 22 and 23 September, respectively. The disengagement was completed in Petrovskoye and Zolotoye areas. Kiev failed to pull back its forces in Stanitsa Luganskaya area for several times.

LuganskMediaCentre — 18 April — Lugansk